This special class for boys ages 11-13 is designed to teach them about the transition to becoming a young man. The class is intended to have a parent or other guardian attend, as there are “talk sessions” throughout the class when the boys are encouraged to discuss things with them.
The class covers physical, emotional, and social changes associated with puberty while promoting positive body image and healthy lifestyle choices. Our relaxed atmosphere helps minimize the embarrassment and awkwardness often associated with this topic and promotes honest conversations while fostering good communication between boys and their parents.
Healthy Steps Covers:
- The male reproductive system and why we have it; includes anatomy and function for each part, and how they relate to puberty. We do not go in-depth about sex, but merely point out that eggs come from the female and sperm from the male for reproduction to occur.
- What to expect with the typical course of puberty and how the body will change, as well as the expected time frame for each step.
- Discussion about handling the emotional changes that often accompany puberty and getting older.
- Healthy habits are important to develop during adolescence for a lifetime of good health!
- Useful books and online sites to help boys and parents navigate puberty and adolescence.