Healthy Transitions is a special class at the Youth Clinic for girls ages 9-11*. It is designed to teach them about the physical, emotional and social changes associated with puberty while promoting positive body image and healthy lifestyle choices. This program not only covers important topics about women’s health, but it instills confidence in both the mother and daughter that a healthy transition is an easy one with a little bit of knowledge.
Our relaxed atmosphere helps minimize the embarrassment and awkwardness often associated with this topic and promotes honest conversations while fostering good communication between girls and their mothers.
Here are some of the topics that will be covered:
- The female reproductive system and why we have it; includes anatomy and function for each part, and how they relate to puberty and periods.
- What to expect with the typical course of puberty and how the body will change
- The menstrual cycle, what to expect with periods, and how to handle them.
- Discussion about handling the emotional changes that often accompany puberty and getting older.
- Useful books and online sites to help girls and parents navigate puberty and adolescence.
For a lifetime of good health, it is necessary to have conversations like the ones that are facilitated during Healthy Transitions. For more information or to sign up for class, please visit our Healthy Transitions page.
*We previously listed this class as appropriate for girls 9-12 but have found that some 12-year-olds are developmentally and intellectually beyond this presentation. If you have a 12-year-old who has not yet progressed too far through puberty or is a “young” 12, it may still be appropriate for her.